Thursday, March 29, 2012

Splash Magazine Article

I was reading through the newest Splash Magazine and came across an article by Emily Sampl titled: "Tips for the 50 Yard Freestyle."  I was impressed with some of the tips Nathan Adrian and Brett Hawke supplied.  I was NEVER a sprinter by ANY means... I had a pretty freestyle and endurance, not sprint speed, and this is the best summary of tips I have seen.  Check it out at:


Splash Magazine March Issue

There is also a video you can watch by Jason Lezak

A few I want to touch on are:
 Brett said in 2  "Try to swim with perfect technique as often as possible, so that when you turn up the power the stroke holds together the way you have been practicing."    I think that is a GREAT visual right there!

He also said: "Swim in your own lane.  Don't get in a match race with the person next to you.  ... look down your lane right before the start, and block out everything else around you." 

Nathan says:  "Don't get discouraged, and have fun.  Swimming is much easier when you are happier and enjoying the process.  Do not be discouraged when something does not work.  Think of it as finding a way that you shouldn't swim the 50."

That makes me laugh... last night I had bowling and Gloria, a teammate of mine had been getting a lot of splits throughout our three games last night.  During the last game we looked up and she had gotten a gutter ball.  She said, "I'm trying something different so I don't get a split."  She followed the gutterball with... ANOTHER gutterball, and said the same thing.  Well in the process of trying to NOT get a split she found out what didn't work.  And moved on from it.  We all can do the same.  Don't get upset with a failed attempt- learn from it!

No comments:

Post a Comment